Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pig Flu

My parents have been very paranoid about me contracting the H1N1 virus, thus they are always encouraging me to go get vaccinated and telling me where to go to receive my shot. Anyways, yesterday morning I decided to appease my mother, so I attempted to attend a flu shot clinic. Yes, you read that right, I attempted to go. I drove to a health department clinic out in West Valley at 6:45 in the morning to be there in plenty of time for the 7:00 start time. (I only was up that early because of Zyrtec-D and its fabulous side effect of only letting me sleep six hours.) When I got there, cars were parked up and down 5600 W for 2-3 miles. I had to park a mile away from the end of the line, and then the line was probably a mile long when I got to it. After waiting in line for an hour and a half, moving only 60-70 feet, and receiving word that they were going to run out of shots a long time before they got to my position in line, I decided that it wasn't worth it. It was cold. I was wearing flip flops. And I felt on the verge of hypothermia, so I left. I guess I probably should have stayed, but I decided that it wasn't worth making my cold worse.

I hope that I can someday get the vaccine prior to getting the flu, but I don't think I will participate in one of these mass clinics again. It seriously felt like Black Friday, but the prize at the end was getting stuck in the arm with a needle. I am just not a fan of long lines, especially when I am all alone. Hopefully they will be able to coordinate these things better, so that they won't turn into this type of crowd control nightmare again.

No comments: