Last night, Kevin and I went to Sakana Sushi Bar with our
friends Kate and Alex. This was my first experience with sushi, but I enjoyed
it. Fortunately the taste was good enough that it canceled out the thought that
I was eating raw fish (although technically my salmon was smoked, but it really
didn’t seem to be well-done). This trip was sparked by my coworkers in the NICU
being huge fans of sushi and ordering it in for lunch on a regular basis. I
figured I should actually taste sushi, so I could have an informed opinion
about its merits, plus Kate and Alex both like sushi, so I figured it would be
a good combination.
Kate suggested that I get the Vegas roll, which looked good
other than the crab meat, but I opted for the Philadelphia roll, which included
smoked salmon, cream cheese, and avocado rolled with sesame seeds. It tasted
really good to me, but I had a bit of a tummy ache afterwards (although half
the time that is just standard for me and it was cured by Tums). We also
ordered the Vegas roll, which I tried, but it was a bit spicy (I am a spice
wimp.) although it was good enough. The other two rolls were a Spider roll and
a Spicy Tuna roll. I opted out of trying both. Kevin also ordered Chicken Teriyaki
because that is the thing he misses most about Washington. I’m not sure if it
met his standards (the teriyaki), but it is a sushi bar and that part was good.
I think the most frustrating part of the night was my
inability to eat with chopsticks. My parents were never huge fans of Chinese or
Japanese food, so my first experience with chopsticks was at PF Changs during
college. However, they did provide silverware at PF Changs, at Sakana they did
not, so I ate with my fingers. Hopefully someday I can figure it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment