Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 2


Kolob Canyons

Our first stop on our trip was Kolob Canyons. I had been here before with my mother, but it had been a long time, and we also did not do the hike. The hike was relatively short, but apparently my half-hearted attempts to get in shape doing Zumba and strength training, plus hound exercising did not appropriately prepare me for it. However, the view made up for my near asthma attack. Here are some pictures from the top:







Kolob Reservoir

Our next stop was Kolob Reservoir. It is also a part of Zions National Park, but it is a lot more remote. Tiffany and Shane had told us how amazingly beautiful it was, so we decided to take a look since we were ahead of schedule. I’m sure it was a lot more beautiful than it seemed, but we had endured an hour long drive on a very curvy and narrow road, and I was ready to puke by the time we got to the part. It is basically a typically small, high altitude lake. There is a road around part of it, but we didn’t go the full distance because it didn’t completely connect. After looking around for a little bit, we moved on to our next destination. Unfortunately, we did not take any pictures. But here is a picture I found on here: <-- My first link ever :)

 



Mt. Carmel Highway

Our next destination was the Mt. Carmel Highway and tunnel. It always amazes me what people were able to do with limited technology back in the day. Apparently my step-grandfather was from the area and worked on the tunnel, so it was nice to somewhat have a connection. We enjoyed the majesty sandstone scenery, but unfortunately, no pictures were taken.

The Rest of Our Evening/Night

Other stops of the day included  visiting the animal exhibit at the Majestic Lodge (a lot like Cabelas). Kevin’s favorite was the jackolope. We also went to see Zion Canyon: Treasure of the Gods, which was interesting because it showed parts of the park that I will most likely never see in my lifetime. I also enjoyed learning more about the park’s history as well. After the movie, we ate dinner at a little Mexican restaurant, which was yummy, but included way too much food.

We stopped at a tiny grocery store to buy some breakfast items before we went back to our campsite to set up camp. We spent the night playing two person Phase 10, which was quite a bit more speedy than the normal version and called it a night. Sleeping in the tent wasn’t too bad, but it was quite windy and I kept dreaming about killer mermaids/sirens (not really sure why, but since when do dreams make sense), so I didn’t get the highest quality of sleep. However, I woke rested enough to enjoy the next day.
Here are some pictures of our accommodations:





No comments: