Here is a stingray update from Kevin’s fish forum posting:
Well, I started looking around a little and was going to
hold off in a Leo till next year, then I came across this ray. Interesting
story. Went with another ray keeper to the local fish auction. I was interested
in a royal pleco (sucker fish/plecostamus) they were going to sell and then I
saw a gold nugget (also a sucker fish/plecostamus) which I really was
interested in.
Then before the action started I heard another ray keeper
talking about a Leo (type of sting ray) at a pet shop, so I tuned in to listen
to what they were talking about. They said it had been at the shop for a good
while and was up in a tank far in the back up high. Don't know why you would
keep such a stellar ray out of view. So, I looked them up on the internet and
gave them a call ASAP to see if it was really true. Owner said “Ya we have a
Leo and motoro (type of sting ray) here leo is about 12" disk.” My thought
was it's a hybrid or maybe a henlie (another type of sting ray) more likely. I
was thinking holy crap I need to get out of here and check this ray out. I saw
one Leo listed through local classifieds about a year ago. I really don't think
any Leos exist anywhere here.
So, I decided to stay for the pleco auction and
then drive over to the pet shop ASAP. I didn't really need the plecos but
thought they would be a good add to the tanks I have, but also money not spent
on them was money to spend on the ray. Royal went for 20.00 and gold nugget
went for 30.00 super good deals. But I had my mind set on checking out this
Leo.
So we left the auction and headed to the fish store. I had never ever been
to this shop before and first opinion was good. Looked everywhere and we looked
though the tanks and could not fund this Leo. So asked the owner and he was all
the way in the back up on the top rack where you could never see him unless you
had a ladder.
The owner went to get a ladder and my friend was jumping up to
look at him. His first comment was that it was a good size. Then a ladder came
and I was able to get up and take a look to do a fast check over. Flag tail
check. Everything else fit Leo. Size about 9 inches. Which was great as my
other rays are about that size. Kept looking him over and he was super happy to
see someone and was looking right at me the whole time.
Well, I heard he had
been there a while so I asked the owner what the bottom $ was and it was great
but still figured I could try for a better deal. I know sad right. But I'm not
made of a huge amount of money and rays are super costy. But he gave me a
bottom dollar amount and we agreed on it. More than anything the pet shop owner
was super happy to see the ray go to a person that knew what they were doing
and had the proper tank setup. Was nice to see a owner and his wife running the
shop doing everything together. They were very nice. Well, they seemed a little
lost on how to bag him, so I offered to do it, and they were super happy to let
me did that. While up getting ready to bag him I saw a few Massivore pellets
and tossed them in and he jumped all over them. Sweet. Great healthy ray.
Well
after a little work got him home and a 45 min drip later, I added him to the
tank. He was in a bare bottom tank and still as of now he has never hid in the
sand. Super active and does not startle easy at all. Perfect ray so far. and I
am fully addicted to my black ray. Well let's get some pics.
![]() |
| This is what he does when he think he is going to get fed. He is worse than a Lunar hound. |
![]() |
| That is not a friendly looking tail. |
![]() |
| All of the sting rays (minus one) checking Kevin out. |





1 comment:
Holy cow, reminds me of snorkeling and trying to reach for and pet the rays that we saw.
Very cool!
Post a Comment