Some random things I learned while in Lithuania and during our travels. This was mostly compiled while in Lithuania.
- Even if you haven't had an asthma attack in three years, always have an inhaler handy.
- Never expect that you luggage will never get lost or that you will never miss your plane. There is always a first time for everything.
- Leopard print luggage is much easier to find than dark green luggage.
- Women in Lithuania wear high heels everywhere, and they still seemed to be more comfortable than I was in my Addidas walking shoes.
- There is liquor in abundance everywhere in Lithuania, including in our hotel room.
- Lithuanians seems to have a smoking problem.
- Public transportation is really nice and really cheap in Lithuania.
- I need to walk more, a lot more. I am so out of shape. It is a good eye opener. My occasional 2 miles isn't really enough to promote being in good shape. Although I think I am still sore from my Endure to the end walk.
- The older generation dresses really well.
- Some stuff is really cheap, while other stuff is as much or more than in America.
- There are a lot of dogs here. Both on and off leashes.
- Jet lag stinks.
- The tighter the pants and the shorter the skirt, the more fashionable the woman.
- Public transportation drivers would make competitive street racers given the right vehicle. In the same vein of thought. Kevin would make a good Lithuanian taxi driver.
- Not knowing the language stinks, but at least Kevin is a decent translator.
- I missed American tv. The only English channels were BBC & CNBC (and German MTV for the most part). Fortunately, we didn't spend much time in our hotel room.
- There aren't really obese people in Lithuania, at most some are overweight. Walking everywhere does have its advantages.
- I miss the clean air act of Utah. I hate cigarette smoke.
- After listening to Lithuanians speak English, I now have a greater understanding of why my Hispanic patients have no idea what I am saying to them when I speak to them in Spanish. It is probably even worse for them that it has been for me because I speak worse Spanish than the Lithuanians speak English.
- However, I am very grateful for those tour guides who have tried their best to help me understand what is going on. Especially the older gentleman at the medicine museum. He tried so hard, I appreciated his efforts.
- However, I am very grateful for those tour guides who have tried their best to help me understand what is going on. Especially the older gentleman at the medicine museum. He tried so hard, I appreciated his efforts.
- It would look weird, but I wish I had my camelback with me. I like having that easy of access to water while I'm out and about.
- I can actually eat everything that is on my plate because the portion sizes are small enough (usually).
- Cotton socks and lots of walking do not go together very well.
- Diesel Mercedes and BMW cars takes some getting used to. It just sounds weird for a luxury car to sound like a big pickup truck.
- You push a button to flush a toilet.
- I heart gelato. For some reason I can eat it without getting sick. I guess I just need to move to Europe so I can eat ice cream again. J
- I miss Charmin toilet paper. The toilet paper here is almost exfoliating.
- Next time I leave the country, a roll or two of Charmin may mysteriously make it into my luggage.
- Next time I leave the country, a roll or two of Charmin may mysteriously make it into my luggage.
- After seeing Lithuanian gas prices, I will try to not complain about ours so much. They are cheap in comparison.
- Customs officers in Europe our much more pleasant than the Homeland Security guys in the US (or at least Chicago). Yelling at somebody who doesn't speak English very well doesn't make him understand it any better and just makes you look like an ignorant pig. Also, when a customer is being pleasant, it wouldn't kill you to at least say "you're welcome." Your job can't be that horrible that you act like everyone who walks through your line is scum.
- Blog while you are there. I tried to catch up on past happenings while I was there, so now I am still playing catch-up weeks later. It would have been much more poignant if I would have wrote the posts while I went.

1 comment:
I'm glad you had so much fun. And I particularly enjoyed this post. I can relate to the issue of finding your luggage--I wish I had gotten a bright color suitcase.
Post a Comment