Above the Cathedral is the Vilnius Castle. It's more like a tower, but like everything else from 800 years ago, time causes decay. You can walk up the hill via a long trail, but as I have a nice husband (or else he didn't want to hear me whine), we took the elevator (Which they called a funicular, which found weird, but according to Wikipedia, that is the proper term. I guess it wasn't a bad case of translation, just an unfamiliar word.)
They were working on renovations on the Castle, so they had a rock chute where all of the rocks were thrown down. For some reason I thought this was cool. The view was excellent from the top. We didn't go into the castle because it cost money, and the displays weren't really worth it.
Old Town
Another view of Old Town and Megan
The castle and rock chute
The Hill of the Three Crosses.
Legend has it that 7 Franciscan Monks were killed here; Wooden crosses have stood here since before 1636, other than when Lithuanian was under Russian and Soviet Union control
The Trail We Could Have Gone On
The Funicular

No comments:
Post a Comment